Monday, August 4, 2008

Take, drink...

I have often struggled with exactly what I should be thinking when I take communion. I know its important, I know its a sacrament (whatever exactly a sacrament really is), and I know some churches do it every week and some a few times a year. I know Jesus says "do this in rememberance of me," so I guess I should just concentrate on him real hard? But I am always remembering him, especially at church! Thats why Im there, so whats the deal with the special trip to the altar? I definitely think that its a solemn time, an important time, but I have never really known what to DO on communion days. Typically I will pray for a little bit, because if you just jump right up its suspicious, so I wanna make sure I mentally prepare myself for this special meal. The last ones in line are probably the ones that really got in the right mindset for this. Sometimes walking up I look real serious and thoughtful so everyone around me will think Im being really spiritual as I go to take the bread and wine. As I eat it, sometimes I try to make sure I am ONLY thinking about God or Jesus. Or I just concentrate so hard on...what? I mean, what should be going on in my heart? Maybe I seem really dumb to the reader(s) here, but honestly Ive just never gotten the real point. I know its special, but why?

Well I was listening to a message recently by Ray Cortese called Thou Shalt Have Great Sex, and in it was one of the best illustartions of the importance of the communion meal. Kinda a weird sermon for that huh? Perhaps. Anyway he talks about how sex is a wonderful gift from God for married couples and of course he tied it into the gospel (atta boy, Ray)...and it was really a good message. But at the end he talks about how in olden times a woman would be arranged to marry a man, and that groom-to-be would come see this woman (probably for the first time) and the families would throw a party for them. During that time, he would offer a goblet of wine to his potential bride. She then had the choice to drink or not drink this offering. If she drank, she accepted the offer of marriage...and if not, well that guy felt like a real jerk Im sure. So then if she drank, the man would then have to go off, back to his home and build a place for her and him to live after they were wed. Well, at the party, after she drank and accepted he would say to her something like "I am going to prepare a place for you and when it is ready I will come back and recieve you and there we will go and be forever together." Sound familiar? oh...how beautiful! Jesus said those very words at the Last Supper! (John 14: 2-4)

Communion is a constant reminder that we have a groom that will never leave us. A groom that is coming back to get us, his bride. A groom who died so we could be close to Him.

So last night was the first time I had taken the bread and wine since hearing that message. Im sure I dont get all of it, and Im sure I have plenty more to learn...but as I took part in the feast, I was no longer concerned with "shoulds" or "oughts" or what anyone else was doing. But I took it and quitely lifted this to my Savior: Yes, I accept. I will wait for only you. I do.

2 comments:

Paul S. said...

that's cool. i hadn't heard that connection before.

dan [tc] said...

i think its also important to look at what 1 cor 11 says about the lords supper, basically telling us that we need to examine ourselves before we eat and drink, to not do it flippantly...i think those are weird things to think about, or i dont know how to examine myself i guess, but thats just what the bible says to do...

for me, the best thing that ever happened was my two years at perimeter bc they only let members of churches take communion and i wasnt a member, so i went two full years without communion...sure i could have snuck it, but i didnt feel right about that, before that time communion was just another part of church, but as i passed those elements by time after time after time, i longed for them...like i seriously longed for communion...now at citychurch we take communion ever week, and its by far my favorite part of the service...going so long without it was terrible, now im not recommending that at all, but i think it gave me some perspective. maybe skip communion once or twice and see how it affects you... another thing i know some people do is when they know communion is coming, they actually fast and let communion be the food that breaks the fast...ive done that before and the hunger i felt physically was such a beautiful reminder of the how i should long for God, and long to remember his sacrifice...i dont know those are just my thoughts on communion...