Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The sun stood still...

So Im here. In Atlanta, which other than the plethora of Cokes is just another city, but this time I have no friends. And a job that is looking like it might be 60 hours a week...including every Monday that will be 7:30am-11pm. I am feeling inadequate to complete this residency and lately have been wondering why I am doing it in the first place. These are totally unexpected feelings, because when I decided to do this I truly felt like God had placed it in my soul to pursue a residency. I mean I was so confident this was it! Now I am really just feeling the weight of this decision, from being at home, to the job, to finding a church, to finding community. Im just not so sure about the whole thing and I am having major doubts. Unfortunatley, I am in this now, and I cant get out (literally, its a legally binding agreement to do this residency). Bla, bla, bla...Ok, Im complaining. I know. Its amazing my capacity to complain. 6 months ago this was all I wanted. Now I am questioning why Im even here. I dont like all this doubt, fear, and worry. And Im beginning to realize that it is clearly of the Evil One who would like nothing more for me to be where God wants me but to hate it and not pursue the task to the end. God tells his people all the time to go do seemingly crazy things (way nuttier than to get a good job in Atlanta) and he constantly has to remind them that He is with them and not to fear. I was reading in Joshua yesterday, and I came across a ridiculously sweet passage. Joshua and his army of Israel have been commanded to take over all the Promised Land and claim it for themselves. To shorten the story for you all, basically Joshua's army comes to a point where they are facing a joint-army of 5 major cities in the region. 5 armies on 1 basically, but God says "dont be afraid, I have given them into your hand." A little crazier than "go move to Atlanta" huh? Well they proceed to fight and in the middle of battle God STOPS THE MOVEMENT OF THE SUN for a full 24 hours to allow for more daylight and a victory for Israel (Joshua 10). I dont even need to elaborate on that. Soak it in for a sec.

I need to constantly remember that God is God. My dear friend Elliott told me that yesterday. "let God be God." I mean thats so true, why do I forget it daily? Now, am I expecting some kind of crazy miracle? No, not really. However God can and will equip his people to be able to carry out his will, by whatever means necesary. He can stop all of the universe for a day. He is the Creator. He is God. It is so encouraging. He has brought me here, I still belive that, and He will sustain me throughout it. He will not leave me by myslelf to whither away. I am feeling weak, alone, stupid, and scared. What a better time for Him to reveal his power, mercy, and grace than to pick a sad sack like myself and do something big in Atlanta? It is a miracle in itself to be able to be used by God at all. My boy CS Lewis wrote that God could repair our bodies without food, convert heathens without missionaries, or give us knowledge without teachers. However "He allows soils and weather and animals and the muscles, minds, and wills of men to co-operate in the execution of His will." Thank you for including me in this great adventure, Lord.

2 comments:

dan [tc] said...

id just like to say while you are still in unhappy, wishing i wasnt here phase that i never liked this idea and you know that, and i told you to move to ft laudy where you would be riding fixies and having a blast. but would you listen? no of course not. of course not. why? probably bc you dont like being happy.

jjust wanted to get that out before you come full circle and realize how good it is that you are in atlanta.

Jason said...

I too wish to weigh in. 159lbs. That aside, I told you many times of a nice, brick CVS not 3 blocks from my house, easily accessible by the same neoprimitive 'fixies' your emo friend is referencing; but instead, you fixied your mind on that ignominous flip-flop hub of Altanta (to continue the metaphor) -- a desperate attempt to reconcile your ambivalent suburban and sub-suburban (which is to say subterranean) musings. Wallow in your petulance.




























jslash. luvyatabby. hope things get better in club1tweezy.