Monday, July 26, 2010

1, 2, 3, VILLAINS!

Ive been going through a bit of a dry spell creatively. I haven’t been feeling like I had anything important to say, nothing new or fresh or helpful for anyone. So I decided not to write at all. I was going to post about all that, or maybe some kind of depressing “why don’t I feel useful” entry… then maybe in a great Christian twist I would present the gospel to myself and pep up towards the end because I should only find my worth in Christ who has already revealed I am of great worth… but instead Im going to write about church league softball.

The Trinity Black team (self dubbed: The Villains) has not been the juggernaut I had hoped we would be when I agreed to coach the team in May. With a record of 2-7 headed into the last few weeks of the season, we are far from any kind of playoff push. This season, although “for fun,” has tested my competitive drive and as the coach/manager I wonder what I could have done differently to help us play better early on. I wonder if I should have instituted “mandatory” practices with threats of not playing if you didn’t attend or commanded that everyone put in 3 hours of batting cage time a week, with a signed reciept from Grand Slam Sports. Perhaps that would have made our record better. Perhaps people would have thought I was a good coach. Perhaps my pride could have been fueled.

But even if we had won more games I don’t know if I would have gotten the excitement that I get when a teammate posts “its softball day!” on their gchat status. Yes, perhaps that sounds ridiculous to you… but for me it is the most gratifying feeling. I cant explain it, but I feel like trying.

As a coach, the best feeling is seeing excitement in your players’ eyes when they arrive at the ballpark. To see them want to play. I get more satisfaction showing up at Nickajack and seeing at least 10 members of our team there an hour early to get in extra practice than I do hitting a home run. Viewing the season as more a manager and less a player has made me appreciate team unity and camaraderie more than ever before. Of course, I would absolutely relish in destroying Dark Green tonight, I mean really crush their spirits, but I am so excited to just gather with friends, high five my team and enjoy some summer heat.

I love this Villains squad because even at the bottom of the standings we’re excited to go out and spoil someone’s season by puling an upset every week.

I love that we all still get a Villains cheer before and after every game, and if low morale calls for it, in-between innings.

I love that Elliot has THE BEST chatter ability of anyone in the Trinity league, I’m convinced of this.

I love that Pei-Jean practices her swing during lunch breaks at work.

I love that Beka suggested we all eat together after the first game when we didn’t know each other and we kept that up most every Monday.

I love that I finally can see that winning isn’t everything, and for the first time in my life I can say that with honesty.

No comments: